SKU Code: MKIII/SS/1224UNB
This MKIII variant is identical to the MKIII/AU/SS/1224 except it has both an unbranded dial and caseback (making it ideal for engraving with a service number or other details) which is a feature a lot of MWC clients regularly request. The MKIII automatic is a recreation of the classic 1950s NATO specification watches which were made under UK Ministry of Defence reference 6B/346 Mk XI. Although it is very similar in style to the watches made at that time it offers greatly improved accuracy through the use of a modern 24 jewel Automatic movement with 41-hour power reserve and hacking function.
The reality is that with the budgetary constraints no modern military forces could afford watches of this quality when cheaper models can meet the need. In the past the worlds forces regularly purchased Rolex, IWC, Omega, Longines and various other well-known makes. Unfortunately, those days are well gone. Because many people still want a military type watch that looks right even though it is made to a much higher specification we offer the MKIII. No expense has been spared to create a superior quality product from the high-performance movement to the brushed stainless steel 1950/60s design case which is manufactured and hand-finished in Zurich, the model was also upgraded recently with a scratch and shatter-resistant sapphire crystal with non-reflective coating.
The watch has a screw caseback and screw-down crown; it is highly accurate and very robust as well as being water-resistant to 100m (330ft).
- Diameter – 38mm exc crown, 40mm inc crown
- Lug to lug: 49mm
- Water Resistance 100m / 330ft
- Luminous Material: Super Luminova
- 24 Jewel NH35A Automatic Movement
- Power Reserve: 41 Hours
- Screw Down crown and caseback
- Shatter and Scratch Resistant Sapphire Crystal *
- Thickness 12.5mm
- Weight: 73g
- Strap: 20mm NATO Webbing Strap
* A lot of people ask us what are the benefits of sapphire crystal over a standard mineral crystal? The answer is that synthetic sapphire is by far the best material for watch crystals because it is very strong and also shatter and scratch-resistant, these characteristics make it very appealing to military and security personnel, police officers and people who lead active outdoor lifestyles, these groups account for over 70% of our customers. To get things into perspective we find that when clients have accidents with watches resulting in a cracked crystal over 90% usually watches with mineral glass crystals, even factoring in that we use hardened mineral crystals they still do not come close to sapphire for durability under adverse conditions. The reason that sapphire crystals are so strong is that after the sapphire glass is manufactured it is also heat-treated to remove its internal stresses—which can cause weakness—it is then made into the watch crystals and two layers of anti-reflective coating are applied, interestingly sapphire crystal is now used on the latest iPhone. Of course, sapphire crystal comes at a price hence you find that it’s normally only fitted to higher-end watches.